Translate

Friday, August 7, 2015

True Friends



I’ve come to a realization… We enslave ourselves with the opinions of others. Too often we let ourselves become reliant upon them, we let them dictate what we do or how we do it. We want to be accepted so badly by society or accepted by those who surround us. I Say be you, whoever it maybe. Don't fight to be accepted, fight to be respected. As long as you can accept who you are that should always be enough.

Brings me to my next point.

  I recently watched a movie called Paper Towns and a line in it inspired me to write this piece. “I came all this way for Margo, but would she have come all this way for me?” The answer was “No”. Margo was a mystery, and everything and everyone made her out to be something she wasn't, but deep down no one really knew her. She never thought about anyone but herself, so I asked myself the same question.

Do I know who my true friends are? Do they only show up when it’s convenient for them? What about when its convenient for me? I’ve found myself going out of my way to try and keep friends together from high school. Those of whom I thought were some of my best friends, and we once were. I’ve spent a lot of time in my life thinking about them, wondering what changed and why we never see each other anymore. Feels like a one sided relationship and most of us know how that feels. We always told each other that we'd be friends forever and some of them are still close friends but with the others, I’m done wasting my time.

That said I have some amazing friends, some of which i feel I can call true friends. People I can call when I’m in a time of need. But I also have convenient friends, we all do, and you know who they are… Those of whom are only there when they want to be. Then you have those friends who are always there, the ones who are there not because they feel like they have to be, but because they want to be. They feel an obligation out of care and love to be there for you when its all good or when its bad. Those who ask you how you are, or how your mom is doing. The friends who truly know your problems in life, but are still there and want to help. That’s a True Friend, don’t waste your time on the ones who don't care. Live for yourself and for the others who’d do the same for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment